Top Menu

1:35 PM

MERCY JOHNSON’S STORY WAS NOT MY INSPIRATION FOR PRODUCING ‘TWO BRIDES & A BABY’ – BLESSING EFFIOM-EGBE

The good times continue to roll for the Nigerian film industry right now. A lot of great movies are being released and being shown to the cinematic delight of viewing public!
The latest to hit the circuit is ‘Two Brides and a Baby’ a classy movie starring one of Nollywood’s truly great actresses Stella Damasus in her comeback role! Others in the movie are AMBO 2 Winner, O.C. Ukeje, Kalu Ikeagwu, Chelsea Eze, Keira Hewatch, Okey Uzoeshi to name a few. The trailer was recently released and there was some buzz going around that it resembled very closely the imbroglio going on with actress, Mercy Johnson. To clear the air, Nollywooduncut’s Bola Aduwo went in search of the producer, Blessing Effiom-Egbe and had this interesting chat with her.
B.A: For those who don’t know you, give us a sneak peek into your profile.
B.E: I’m a 2001 Theater Arts graduate from The University of Calabar, Nigeria and a 2006 graduate from the City Varsity film College in Cape Town, South Africa. I am also an international model of repute cum actor/writer/producer /Director representing Nigeria at the 2008 Berlinale Talent Campus in Durban, South Africa.
B.A: Your credentials are certainly intimidating… beauty with brains! So you modeled internationally?
B.E: Oh yes. That way back before I got married and had my two lovely daughters. In 2005, I appeared on America Next Top Model USA, then a did a TV Commercial for Smart car in South Africa, then in 2004/05: I did a commercial for Snickers bar USA,. there was another TVC I did for French Lotto in France in 2004/05: Bacardi T.V.C Macdonald T.V.C just name a few.
B.A: Impressive! And you gave up all that to be a writer/producer in Nollywood? Tell how that worked!
B.E: I worked in the bank briefly but left after an incident and went into modeling.
B.A: What incident?
B.E: Thats a story for another day but after leaving the banking sector, I went into modeling and took part in and won THE ECOWAS BEST MODEL in 2002. It was through that win, I got plunged into the world of international modeling travelling the world in the process and finally settled in Cape Town, South Africa. ‘In that time, I got bored of just being a face and the body of some product or brand. I began questioning my choice of career. I needed something more challenging and inspiring. i went straight into action and took up screen writing and producing courses at the City Varsity film school and there began my journey into the beautiful world of film making.
BA: Okay, now I understand… so which movies have you produced?
B.E: I have written, produced and acted in Two brides and a baby (2011) The Rivals (2007) After the Vow (2007) Working the lane (2006) African Queen (2006) Before the Vow (2005).
B.A: Tell us briefly about your new project, Two Brides and a Baby…
BE: Its a story that begins on the day before the wedding of KOLE and KECHE. At the wedding rehearsal, The groom’s ex shows up bringing along a basket full of drama. She is determined to hunt the soon to be married groom for secrets he has kept away from everyone including his bride to be. As the antagonistic EX presents a carefully mapped out plan which includes a baby, every corner is shaken as a cupboard full of secrets are open, exposing concealed reactions of everyone directly involved.
B.A: I’ve seen the trailer and people are saying its very similar to the Mercy Johnson story going on now. Did you do that deliberately?
B.E: How can I do that deliberately? A film I shot in March? an wrote in 2010? These kind of things happen to people in real life, and as a film maker I tap from real sources… its pure coincidence, I tell you!
B.A: Hmm… but the lady that acted as the Bride even looks like Mercy! So are you sure you didn’t have her in mind when shooting the movie?
B.E: Now that is true… you do have a point there! Yes the resemblance is striking but I tell you it wasnt planned. How could it have been? Its just as case of art imitating life! Very soon I will be called a Seer! (general laughter).
BA: So who are the other actors in the film?
B.E: Stella Damasus, Kalu Ikeagwu, Keira Hewatch, O.C Ukeje, Chelsea Eze, Kehinde Bankole and My humble self, Blessing Effiom-Egbe.
B.A: I notice you used a number of upcoming actors. Was that deliberate?
B.E: Yes, I wanted the believable factor to come through in the film which you might not have when you are watching someone that is a popular face. Because I have seen them before I kind of know their reactions and delivery and I didnt want that to be the case in this film which is full of so many twists and turns. Mind you, not all of them give predictable deliveries. I simply wanted true and varied emotions. Anyway we have too few leading men and women in Nollywood so the more the merrier!
B.A: What was it like working with the awesome Stella Damasus?
B.E: You know when I casted Stella, I heard alot of people tried to discourage me from featuring her, saying she would abandon my set, not show up and other such nonsense but trust me, Stella was very proffessional on this project. She and her management team would call me ahead of time for details and show up when I asked them to and this went on for the total number of days we shot! ONLY ONE DAY DID I KEEP HER 4 HOURS LONGER THAN I ANTICIPATED AND THEY MADE SURE I GOT MY ACT TOGETHER THE NEXT DAY….BUT GUESS WHAT. I LOVED THAT, BECAUSE THAT’S THE TYPE OF PERSON I AM…PRODUCERS MUST PLAN THOROUGHLY BEFORE ENGAGING A CREW AND CAST ON SET. THESE PEOPLE HAVE A MILLION AND ONE THINGS TO DO AND YOU DON’T KEEP THEM HANGING AROUND YOUR SET FOR AN OVERLY DUE PERIOD BECAUSE YOU HAVE PAID THEM. IF YOU CONTRACT THEM FOR TWO WEEKS OR 10 DAYS, LET THEM KNOW THERE MIGHT BE GAIN DAYS..DONT SAY 3 DAYS BECAUSE YOU WANT THEIR FACES ON YOUR POSTER AND THEN KEEP THEM FOR TEN DAYS, THEY’LL WALK AWAY. I WOULD…LOL. BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, IF THE ACTORS DO NOT SHOW PROFFESSIONALISM AND SHOW UP ON SET HOURS AFTER CALL TIME LIKE MOST OF THEM DO, THEN WE DON’T HAVE A DEAL!!
B.A: And Teco Benson?
B.E: TECO IS A GOOD DIRECTOR, HE PAYS ATTENTION TO DETAIL. I HIRED HIM BECAUSE I WANTED TO MERGE HIS ACTION PROWESS WITH MY DRAMATIC ART, AND YOU KNOW WHAT BOLA, IT WORKED BIG TIME. WE HAVE AN INCREDIBLE WITTY FAST PACED DRAMA.
B.A:. Technically, the film looks very sound… you must have put alot of effort in the film.
B.E: A LOT OF MONEY WENT INTO THE TECHINCAL ASPECT OF THE FILM, FROM THE CAMERA, LENSES, SOUND, LIGHTING AND EDITING. WE WENT FOR THE BEST IN NAIJA AND I’M SO HAPPY THE PRODUCT ROCKS TECHNICALLY. HA, BOLA, E FOR WORRY OH, AFTER ALL THAT NOISE?….INFACT LET ME BOAST SOME MORE…WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN IN THE TRAILER IS NOT EVEN HALF AS GOOD AS THE FILM ITSELF. PEOPLE SHOULD GET READY FOR A BANGER!.
B.A: So when will it be released to the general public?
B.E: By the Grace of God, on the 25th of November, it starts showing in Nigeria..
B.A: Thank you so much for your time! I wish you the best in your endeavours!
B.E: Thanks so much! I wish you the same!
source: Nollywooduncut

0 comments: